Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Bring It!

Dan and I have jumped on the bandwagon and started P90X.  It is kicking.  My.  Booty.  In all kinds of awesome ways.  And by "awesome" I mean "holycrudit'snoteven6inthemorningpleaseletmedienow".  Yes, despite the fact that I am not remotely a morning person, my 11.5-12 hour days away from home mean that the best (I use that word very loosely) time for me to work out is still before I leave for work in the morning.

If someone had told me 5 years ago that one day I would willingly get up at 5:00 every morning, I would have died laughing.

I also would like to offer this as a challenge to everyone who thinks they don't have time to exercise.  I don't have time either, but I make time.  I am up at 5:00, working out by 5:15, in the shower by 6:20.  I leave the house at 7:15, pick up my brother-in-law/commuting buddy at 7:50, and start the second (and longer) leg of my commute.  Drop him off and drive the last 5 miles to my office by 9:00, if the traffic's good.  Reverse that drive in the evening and get home a little before 7:00 (most nights...again...traffic).  Dinner and a couple of hours of quality time with Dan, and into bed between 10:00 and 11:00 so we can do it all again.

If I can drag my sleepy self up a full hour and 15 minutes before I have to, anyone can squeeze in a 30 minute walk a few times a week.  ;)  Start with that and see where it goes.  Endorphins are habit forming in the best possible way.

The program itself isn't as hard as I thought it would be.  Yes it's tough, yes I get sore, yes  I Tony Horton is well past 40 and has the body of a 20-year-old professional athlete, no you should absolutely not try to jump into it if you are coming out of a completely sedentary lifestyle.  Spend a few months getting your body used to activity first, or you will hurt yourself.  After my injury I was inactive for about 3 months, then started walking again, moved up to jogging again, and then spent a couple months doing some cardio/light weight lifting.  The guidebook has a fitness test inside; if you can't pass it, wait to start until you can.  But don't be intimidated by people's horror stories of how impossible the program is.  If you can pass that test, you can do the workouts.  You will have to go at your own pace, but you can do it.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the program, there are 12 videos and a guidebook.  The workouts alternate between cardio focused (Cardio, Kenpo, Plyometrics, etc.) and muscle focused (weights, chin up bar, squats, lunges, etc.).  There are 3 ways to do the program as well, outlined in the book.  Each consists of 6 days of exercise and 1 day of rest each week.  Classic is the regular path, alternating between muscles and cardio for 6 days with one rest day.  Doubles is for crazy really athletic people; after the first 30 days it adds a second workout per day.  Lean, which I am doing, leaves out a couple of the rougher workouts.  I don't do Plyometrics at all (thank goodness!), and some of the muscle groups I don't do until later.  For example, I won't do the Chest & Back workout until day 60, because it involves a lot of chin ups, and I can't do those yet.  Dan is doing Classic, so our workouts don't always line up.  Most days we get to be each other's cheer squad.  :)

We're on day 8 right now, and so far so good.  I've struggled to find something pushes me and that I enjoy as much as karate, since my days as a dojo rat are over.  P90X is fun, it's energizing, it's doable, and few things wake me up as effectively as Tony Horton yelling "Bring it, bring it, come on!" for an hour straight.  I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a fun and challenging workout.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Hey girlfriend, come back! I miss your bloggy face!